Book review of The Belljar(spoiler-free!!)

Book Review of The Bell jar by Sylvia Plath



The Bell Jar is Sylvia Plath's only novel and I must say , I really wish it wasn't! I absolutely loved the book and this review is completely spoiler-free , in depth and gives you insight into whether you will like the book or if you may want to pick up another read.
Date of completion : Feb 17 2025 

Star rating : ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️☆

Trigger Warnings : The book contains topics of self-harm and a character tears off another's dress

The Pros 

The book is actually semi-autobiographical - meaning it is closely based on Sylvia Plath's real life. 
Due to this , I found the characters to be very realistic and complex. The representation of being a woman in the 1950's , having mental illnesses and being part of the LGBTQIA++ community is very well handled and I love how they are not shown as people trying to be different or un - understandable but rather truly feeling separated. This may not make sense but if you have read books with mental health representation , you will probably know what I am talking about. The plotline and flow was very good and it is very , very beautifully written. There is also a sort of raw truth to it , and you will be able to relate to the mindset quite well. Let's be honest , a lot of us would have wanted to kick someone for being irritating at some
 point

The Cons

The book does have bit of an anti-climatic as well as being unrealistic ending as she would have most probably gotten a second depressive episode. The second point which is the reason the book is 4.5 stars and not 5 is because of the racism. This was during the civil rights movement so Sylvia Plath should have had an idea of the blatant racism but alas. There are many comments from the main character like
"He is as an ugly as an Aztec" "Looks like a sick Indian" "Dusky like a bleached blonde negress" are off-putting and racist behaviour towards a black doctor and a Russian peer are also prevalent. 
I personally was intrigued by the thought that books raising awareness were discriminating themselves.
I have seen a comment that the book is homophobic but I disagree . I may have skipped a line by accident but she never says anything hateful . Joan is weird to Esther even before she found out she was gay and when she was confused as to why people would be (homophobic mindset) she realises why and does not talk about it again.

My Final Opinion

You should definitely read the book if you like beautiful writing and books that make you think and are a fan of semi-fiction novels (You may also like this book if you liked autobiographies like diary of a young girl by Anne Frank) Do not read the book if you get bored if there is no "action" or thriller and cannot stand racism in a book. To be clear : the book is not meant to spread racist propaganda but rather reflects some sentiments so if you can separate the two and say I do not believe in everything this book says , you can still enjoy the book.


Gets an :

APPROVED

Comments

Popular Posts